Blast Furnace – Lithgow

Congratulations to Lithgow on receiving the recent grant to allow an upgrade their blast furnace.  Lithgow and this Blast Furnace record the beginning of the iron and steel industry in Australia. The furnace was established in 1886 by William Sandford and operated until 1928 when production was moved to Port Kembla. The site has now been converted into a park around the remains of the pump house and the furnace foundations. There is a pleasant walk around Lake Pillans Wetland adjacent to the park (information courtesy

Be the first to leave a comment