Iandra Castle was owned by a Mr George Henry Greene who also pioneered the share-farming system in Australia. Mr Greene brought in trades and materials from overseas and built the village of Greenethorpe for his workers.
Believe it or not but it is very hard to find any information about the Railway Station in Young. We know it was built around 1886 and that passenger trains stopped arriving here 25-30 years ago and freight trains stopped in September 2009.
Named after Lord Carrington, Governor of NSW who visited Young in 1889 to officially switch the lights on. Young was the first town in NSW to have electric lights in the streets and private homes. The Rotunda was built in 1912 to recognise the contribution of the band master WF Roberts.
The property of Iandra was purchased by Mr. Greene in 1878 and consisted of 32,000 ac (13,000 Ha). In 1880 he commenced building his first house, of bricks fired on the property. In 1908 he commenced the conversion of this single storey brick house to a two-storey reinforced concrete building on the same foundations. During this period he built the reinforced concrete stables, water tower with silo beneath, filtration plant, sheds, and 40 houses for the sharefarmers.
Young Shire Council.
This lovely park has play facilities, a big, well maintained rose garden and is surrounded by these amazing mature palm trees.
Park in small town of Yeoval with undercover picnic table, lovely well maintained gardens with tin animals lining the fence around the park.
Large unused stately ex hospital building in scenic location at top of a hill with views of Molong town and the district agricultural area. Large grass areas surround.