Aviation Museum – Parkes

The Parkes Aviation Museum is located at the end of Muzycuk Drive at Parkes Airport. It is currently housed in a former RAAF hangar from the airport’s time as a World War Two air force base.Parkes has a long history in aviation, the first aircraft to land at Parkes was a Sopwith Camel piloted by aviation pioneer Sydney Pickles in 1919.

During WW2, Parkes airport became RAAF Base Parkes, accommodating No.1 Air Navigation School, No.2 Wireless Air Gunners School, No.8 Operational Training Unit and after the war No.87 SQN operated from Parkes. Did you know – former PM Gough Whitlam graduated from Parkes as a Flying Officer navigator?

Parkes Aero Club, formed in 1948, still operates from its historic ex-RAAF COMMCEN building.

Parkes has been used as a storage facility for the Historic Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS) since 1975 and is currently being transformed into an aviation museum in its own right by a range of local and HARS volunteers.  Information provided by:  https://hars.org.au/

Peace Precinct, Cowra

Cowra is home to Australia’s World Peace Bell; the Peace Precinct (which includes the Japanese Garden); the Festival of International Understanding; and the Avenue of Trees sponsored by Japanese citizens and families and is the centre of world friendship.

Cowra annually commemorates the Breakout which occurred in the early hours of August 5, 1944.

Iandra Castle

Iandra Castle was owned by a Mr George Henry Greene who also pioneered the share-farming system in Australia. Mr Greene brought in trades and materials from overseas and built the village of Greenethorpe for his workers.

Ghost Tours & Spooky Stories – Grenfell, NSW

  • Grenfell’s historic building play the perfect backdrop for spooky stories and ghost tours. The first were held in Oct and were a huge success. If only the building’s walls could talk…

Regent Theatre (disused) – Mudgee

The Regent Theatre at Mudgee in central west NSW was built in 1937 is an Art Deco style cinema and theatre that has been closed since 2006. Plans are underway to keep the facade and foyer but to turn the main auditorium and screening area into apartments.  Please contact Screen Central on (02) 6331 9246 if you are interested in this location.  Credit for the images and information:  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-02/mudgees-art-deco-regent-theatre-in-pictures/6988050

Blast Furnace – Lithgow

Congratulations to Lithgow on receiving the recent grant to allow an upgrade their blast furnace.  Lithgow and this Blast Furnace record the beginning of the iron and steel industry in Australia. The furnace was established in 1886 by William Sandford and operated until 1928 when production was moved to Port Kembla. The site has now been converted into a park around the remains of the pump house and the furnace foundations. There is a pleasant walk around Lake Pillans Wetland adjacent to the park (information courtesy http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/visit/ViewAttractionDetail.aspx?ID=5045094

Grenfell Railway Station

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Visitor Information Centre. Young

Believe it or not but it is very hard to find any information about the Railway Station in Young. We know it was built around 1886 and that passenger trains stopped arriving here 25-30 years ago and freight trains stopped in September 2009.

Young Council.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Town Hall. Young

Now: Town Hall. Before: Young Mechanics’ Institute Mechanics Institute was opened in 1874.

The memorial and the rejuvenated home of local government were unveiled on 31st May 1924.

Young Council.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Presbyterian Church. Young

The Presbyterian church was constructed with Blue Stone quarried from Bendick Murrell with steps and arches of local grey granite. The roof was clad in slate.

Young Shire Council.