Blast Furnace – Lithgow

Congratulations to Lithgow on receiving the recent grant to allow an upgrade their blast furnace.  Lithgow and this Blast Furnace record the beginning of the iron and steel industry in Australia. The furnace was established in 1886 by William Sandford and operated until 1928 when production was moved to Port Kembla. The site has now been converted into a park around the remains of the pump house and the furnace foundations. There is a pleasant walk around Lake Pillans Wetland adjacent to the park (information courtesy http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/visit/ViewAttractionDetail.aspx?ID=5045094

Power Station. Lithgow

Power Station. Lithgow

Power Station located on railway.

Lithgow City Council

Stone Railway Bridge. Lithgow

Stone Railway Bridge. Lithgow

Archvale convict era stone railway bridge.

Lithgow City Council

800px-BlastfurnacelithgowBlast Funace 2Blast Funace 1

Blast furnace ruins. Lithgow

A monument to Lithgow’s industrial history. It was here that the first iron and the first steel in Australia were cast.
William Sandford established the blast furnace in 1886 and it continued production until 1928 when the entire industry was moved to Port Kembla.
The site has now been developed as a park around the remains of the pump house and the foundations of the furnace.

Lithgow City Council